Swiss citizens are generally eligible to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- Visa Waiver Program (VWP): As a Swiss citizen, you can visit the United States for tourism, business, or certain other purposes without obtaining a visa, as long as your visit is for 90 days or less. This applies to both travel to the continental United States and the territories of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands.
- Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA): Before traveling to the United States under the VWP, you must apply for authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). The ESTA application is completed online and requires you to provide personal and travel information. It’s advisable to apply for ESTA at least 72 hours before your departure to allow for processing.
- ESTA Fee: There is a fee associated with the ESTA application. Payment can be made online using a credit or debit card.
- Valid Swiss passport: You must have a valid Swiss passport that will remain valid for at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States.
- Additional requirements: While the VWP allows for visa-free travel, you must still meet certain requirements, such as not having a criminal record or a history of visa violations. It’s important to answer all questions on the ESTA application truthfully and accurately.
- Travel purpose limitations: The VWP is intended for tourism, business, or certain other activities. It does not permit employment or study in the United States. If your travel purpose requires employment, study, or a stay longer than 90 days, you will need to apply for the appropriate visa through the regular visa application process.